Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday's Electric Lunch Hour - 2010/11/26



I was going through various Frank Zappa videos one day, and came across some people who were doing various covers of Frank's tunes. But one of those covers caught my eye: a girl by the nickname of vkgoeswild had posted a piano cover of Frank's G-spot Tornado. This is one of Frank's technical masterpieces. And after watching it I was floored. About a week later I get one of those "because you watched so-and-so" suggestions on Youtube and it was a Metallica cover by vkgoeswild. So I tell myself "she can own a Zappa tune... let's see what she can do with metal". And I couldn't believe what I had just seen. Instant subscribe, and I checked out the rest of her posts. Next thing I knew it was around 4AM and I was completely mesmerized. There are so many videos of her I could have posted here but I think "Ktulu" is a good example of just how wild Ms Viktoriya Yermolyeva can go. Other fine examples are Metallica's "Orion", Type O Negative's "Love you to Death", Slayer's "Raining Blood"... this one is also worth seeing, as Vika completely translates the power and darkness of this song into her piano. And she has tons more covers. Oh by the way, she makes her own sheet music... o_O

Oh, and to tie in with EVE Online, this cute and shy classically-trained piano destroyer is currently stationed in Reykjavik, and she enjoys having coffee in a place near her house called CCP Games. She also proudly wears the "Harden The Fuck Up" rubber bracelets :)

Fly wild

o7