Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blog Banter #24: I am me

I very rarely do the banter thing because I do try to spent more time playing the game than talking about it, but this one here is interesting:


Welcome to the twenty-fourth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

This month's Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the "Where the frack is my ship" blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?


It's very simple. Cozmik R5 is r3dfiv3 is Benoit Gauthier. I have attacked all video games that attracted me with the same intensity that I attacked jumps in my BMX days, or with the same intensity that I attack my drum kit. The thing that really attracted me to multiplayer gaming was the camaraderie and friendly competition. When I started playing Red Planet I was as much hooked on the people I was hanging out and flying with as I was with the game itself. A few years later the same happened with the Quake3 community; how many people ride a bus a thousand clicks just to go to a LAN party? Well, I'm one of those crazies.

Do my real-life skills help me in anyway? Hell yeah! I come from games where real-life skills are everything, and I will never forget how rough I found my beginnings when I had not even 2 million skill points with a wall of skills on my seamingly never-ending EVEmon plans, and where every cruiser lost was like a scar on my wallet. But one thing I know I'm good at is piloting, be it planes, cars, 'mechs or just a guy on a Quake map. So even though I was short on in-game skills and ISK, I knew that in a short time I'd be able to make my mark at least in some way. It's also the reason why I hate capital ships so much; I just don't consider flying those fat boats "piloting" (to all cap pilots who don't agree, rage on... I don't give a fuck). For the record, I have piloted two planes in real life, and I have a license to rent 125cc racing karts. Yeah, I can pilot.

My thoughts on anonymity: let's just say they are very bad. If I feel like being an asshole it's cuz I feel like being an asshole. Do I take advantage of that fact that I can be an asshole in a virtual context? Of course, I mean, I'm not exactly into ramming cars and stealing stuff in real life, but it's great to be in a game where one second you can help some guy by giving him a ship, and the next second you can blow him up. If some people rage about stuff like this, they just don't understand the nature of the beast that is EVE.

List of participants:

TBD (I'll try but don't make any bets)

No comments: