Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday's Electric Lunch Hour - Hellgate Edition




Let's take a Power Metal left turn for a bit. Last weekend I read a bit of news that I found pretty exciting because it involves one of the games that I really enjoyed playing but unfortunately had suffered a terminal case of corporate struggle. Hellgate: London, a game which looks and feels like it is the result of Diablo and Doom having had some extremely kinky sex, was released on October 31st 2007. I started playing it around May 2008, and on January 31st 2009 all support for the game was stopped, and the servers and websites were shut down. Yep, vast amounts of suckage. But fortunately for Hellgate's community, the brand was picked up by Korean-based studio Hanbitsoft and work started to not only update the game's content, but to also open new multiplayer servers, in Asia at first, and at an unknown date in the US and EU. The project was called Hellgate: Resurrection.

Not wanting to be left out and desiring to keep the game somewhat alive, some members of the community started a project called Hellgate: Revival, intended to update the single-player content of the game. I have yet to check it out, but now that I'm enjoying other games I most probably will in the near future. And the bit of news that excited me? On June 3rd, which means next week, the closed beta for the english version of Resurrection will start. Of course I registered to hopefully receive a log-in key! So what are my character choices? I'm pretty split on this so I'll have to make two: a Templar Blademaster so I can go to town with twin swords swinging madly, and a Hunter Marksman so I can run around Quake-style fragging the shit out of anything that moves. I don't know when I'll be able to go multi-player, but I think I'll have quite a ball killing demons soon :)

On the Quake Live front, every day that passes I'm shedding a bit more rust. I still have the problem that I go on both very good and very bad streaks. When I'm on a good one it's fine, but when I dig a rut I dig it pretty deep and it's hard to come out of it. My main problem is that I tend to be too aggressive in my playing style, so I pay for it regularly. But it's all good in the end. It's great to play games that I don't feel like I have to reserve 3 hours or more if I want to do more than skill flipping or mission running. Yes, EVE hiatuses are awesome; if you think you may need a break, it's because you really do. Take one!


If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it harder.

o7


Edit: Various links to be added when Blogger.com ceases to be retarded; I had to post this from work where I don't have access to any gaming related sites.

Edit #2: Yay me... I made Ga'len's Fail Mail Friday !!!

2 comments:

H said...

Hellgate London?!!?! O really?!?!?!

Was playing single player last night. It's a bloody good game that I like alot...

Glad to hear things are kicking off again :)

Benoit CozmikR5 Gauthier said...

Yep, really, and I too have been playing it again. I started with the Marksman guy and I just hit the "British Museum" wall. But I've done it before so I know I can do it again :)