Tuesday, October 11, 2011

And then they were three

No, this blog post will have nothing to do with late 70's Genesis when Steve Hackett left the band and Genesis started to suck. This is indeed an EVE Online post. As I had mentioned a little while ago, my corpmate and long-time friend si Gong resubbed and got back into the swing of things. His rust is getting brushed off daily and I didn't have too much to re-teach him, and could easily pick up where we had left off. But he had also told me that one of his buddies was interested in seeing this crazy game about Internet Spaceships, and so it was that on Sunday morning pilot Ricky Boys was born, and a few minutes later strained his neck looking up the Learning Cliff.

The sad part is that I couldn't help much on Sunday because of a slight case of over-indulgence at the previous night's EVE Meet. FYI: beer and korean food don't mix well, at least to me. But at least si Gong wasn't the complete noob he was right after resubbing and was able to help Ricky get started, get him books, ships, mods, etc. I did find a bit of energy to log in and see how the newborn was doing, and apparently he has discovered a taste for mining; to each his own I guess! I did find it quite funny at one point when a couple of Hi-sec Angel rats decided to play with his Navitas. I did give him a break and not let my brand new corpmate die so I undocked my Cynabal and showed those Angels who was boss, much to Ricky's joy. After that just for fun I docked the Cynabal and went back in my Absolution. My goal in doing this: to show him the difference between mining lasers and Heavy Pulse Lazor IIs. This was quite funny by the way. But in my corp, who says noob player says... INITIATION :))

Yesterday I was feeling a lot better and was able to go to si Gong's place - by the way, the two guys played as a LAN the entire time - for some in-the-flesh teaching. The first part was explaining how important it is to have his clone updated at all times in case of podding, but what better example than to experience the real thing? During this time and without him knowing it, I undocked my Comet and started warping to belts, and when I finally found him I told him "this is the sound you don't want to hear" and got a target lock. "Well, I'll just leave" says he. "Sure man, try!" Of course he was scrammed/webbed from hair tip to toe nail so si Gong and I had a good laugh. Reassuring him that we'll just get another Navitas I told him "This is what blowing up feels like", and 3 blaster volleys later his first Navitas was history, but Lo and Behold he wasn't sleeping at the wheel, and instinctly warped his pod out before I could lock it. Yay Ricky! We did another double check on his clone to make sure he'd be respawning in our system, and now without trickery I showed him what getting podded feels like, how the game reacts, what to do after, etc. I even showed him his frozen corpse floating in space before picking it up. So now as a noob he knows three important truths about EVE: 1- fly what he can afford to lose, 2- losing ships happens and isn't the end of the world, and 3- getting podded isn't the end of the world either.

So now Dock 94 is now actually a multi-player corp, something I never thought would happen when I made it. Here's to many successes, be they in PvP, PvE or even Industry!

Don't just hate noobs, teach 'em

o7

No comments: