Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Last Week

Well this is it, 7 days to go and I'll be closing the book on EVE Online. And in the last drama I'll see people fight, bitch and moan over the fixing of the jump bridge system. Not that it's something that touches me even if I kept playing, I admit that it was something that needed to be done. Once again, those who will adapt the fastest will win, the others will be crushed. I'll keep my eyes peeled on EVENews24 after I'm gone because there should some interesting stuff happening.

So as I wait for the curtain to drop, I've only logged in very sporadically. I made sure all was cool with Dock 94 before it goes into deep freeze. I've run a mission or two. I've hunted Low-sec with ex-corpmate Havegun. And I've stashed a PLEX for an eventual return, even though I seriously don't know when that will be. One quick scan of the EVE-O forums, with its myriad of trolls, angry carebears, and sometimes complete dick-wads tells me what I've been suspecting for a while. I'm sick of the general aggressive negativeness that covers pretty much everything. Note to anyone beginning their adventures in New Eden: if you want positive advice on the game, look to the blogs instead of the forums because very little is constructive there.

So here's what I've been doing instead of banging my head against EVE:

- Re-installed, played and finished Half-Life 2. I had wanted to do this for a long time because I have only played it once when I got it in 2004-2005.

- Deathmatch practice in Quake Live, Warsow and Nexuiz: after spending so much time in an MMO, I'm slightly rusty. Well, not too much because DM is almost like riding a bike, but my performance in general is really jagged, with both bits of brilliance and bits of stupidity. Like in anything, it's easy to be good but very hard to be great.

- Flown some Flight Sim: for a long time I've been wanting to make a canyon run movie so I've started to practice not only the canyon run itself, but also playing with different angles and studying the tools I could use to make my life easier. I have a new-found respect for guys like Ian Chisholm of Clear Skies fame; making Machinima takes a shit-ton of time and patience!

- Flown some Black Prophecy: sure it's incomplete and will never be even close to EVE in scale, but I can get in, blow up some ships, and get out. I'm still curious to see how the game will develop.

So to all of you who are staying in EVE for the forseeable future, I wish you the best of luck, and I sincerely wish you don't let the general oppressiveness of New Eden get you down. If it does, do like me and take a break, and if anyone isn't happy about it tell them to fuck off and to cram their heads up their asses.

Keep flying dangerous; you'll be less disappointed when your ship blows up :)

o7

3 comments:

Jorshan said...

Good luck Cozmik. May your eyries receive you at your journey's end. I'm watching the EvE drama unfold from the sidelines, doing my best to stay away from the forums myself.

Zanaraxtarus said...

Right here with you guys on the sidelines... Until the devs start actually, you know, FINISHING things, this is where I'll remain.. I do still keep up with the blogs and will miss yours a good deal..
If you decide to post occasional summaries of EVE News that you pick up here and there it'd be great and I know not only myself would read them...
Enjoy real life!! (and by "real life" I, of course, mean "other games) ;)
See ya around!

Benoit CozmikR5 Gauthier said...

Thanks for the kind words!

As I've said before, I may be on shore leave from EVE but the blog ain't going anywhere. If some EVE tidbit sparks my interest I'll write about it, but I'll also write about tons of stuff that interests me, just because i like writing about stuff :)