Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Caldari disappointment: Harpy

Yesterday I thought that maybe I should put my newly learned Caldari Frigate V skill to good use and get myself a new ship. I have enough good interceptors so I skipped those, and as the much awaited for Rocket Fix hasn't happened yet I decided to wait for the Hawk and instead got a Harpy. Big disappointment. I was thinking that with my good Hybrid skills this thing would be mean ship, but it looks like I was wrong. When I asked my buddy Unzer, who is an almost pure Caldari 80m skill point pilot if he had a good fit for the Harpy his answer was short and to the point: "Don't fly one. That's my only good fit.". Okaaaay... I turned on EFT to see what all that was about before I started buying guns and modules for my intended "Blarpy", and it didn't take long to see that Unzer was right. This ship is power grid challenged, has only 2 low slots, too many mids (unless you like to have a sig radius the size of a dump truck), and as all Caldari ships it's slow. A Jaguar has the same number of mid slots but at least it can boogie. And as a blaster platform, a Taranis will do everything better, faster and do more damage. I had paid only 11m ISK for the ship so I made someone happy and sold it directly on the market at 8.5m. I guess I'll wait to see the Rocket Fix and get better missile skills before I try another Caldari boat.

But I was still in a shopping frenzy mood... it shows I've done a few too many L4 missions! So I said "fuck it!" and bought my 5th Loki subsystem, and all the remaining modules for the ship. Some will come straight out of my current mission Sleipnir so I didn't have too much stuff to buy, but the 5th subsystem was also the most expensive one, the Adaptive Shielding. So now all I need is the actual hull and my Hellbringer will be brought back to life. Because I don't freak out over ninja salvagers* the way some other mission runners do (it's quite hilarious in Local sometimes!) I shouldn't be in a position to lose it as easily or fast as the first Loki, but although the ship has some faction goodies, it will not have anything crazy like Officer or meta 10 deadspace complex mods. It may sound weird to be anxious to get a PvE ship but I'm even more anxious to fit a PvP Sleipnir. I'm gonna have to do some EFT warfare as well as some Sisi testing before I have a finalized fit; I don't exactly have the ISK flow to lose multiple command ships in a short time :)

So this being Wednesday it's time to start the weekend plans. In order to be closer to any potential The PvP I will clone-jump out of the mission hub and use any spare time doing exploration. Another corpmate told me yesterday that a couple of good sites could net me the ISK needed to get my Loki hull, but I must admit that my luck in exploration isn't exactly stellar. I think it might be time to up the danger levels a bit and explore that crazy place called Low-sec. According to my corpmate Havegun it's been much too quiet for PvP lately so who knows, I may get lucky for once. I need to put some mileage on my Rapier anyway :)

So that's about it for now. I hope the weekend is a good one filled with interesting stories to tell. Things have been very quiet so some kick-starting may be required. I'll make sure I have my steel-toe shoes on >:)

Fly deadly

o7

*: Hey don't get me wrong, I actually love ninja salvagers! I usually have a PvP ship on hand so if they wanna play, I'll play. My best 1v1 came about because someone had stolen my stuff, so please, steal my stuff some more !!! >:)

3 comments:

Magson said...

Why a Blarpy? Rails and a long point is where it's at for the Harpy. It doesn't excel at anything, but it doesn't suck as bad either. Good little general purpose heavy tackler in a gang like that. Not awesome, merely good, but cheap.

Benoit CozmikR5 Gauthier said...

I thought the Harpy was more of a damage dealer. I was obviously wrong!

Anyway, I'm more of a point blank range kinda guy :)

Magson said...

I looked up the "Harpy of Doom" fit that I was thinking of. It's very much designed to be a generalist/heavy tackler that needs long range. It's got 20km optimal, so it does pretty well with the long point -- the only difficulty if keeping the range long, since it's a slow ship:

[Merin's Harpy of DOOM]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Warp Disruptor II
Small Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 150
Medium Shield Extender II
Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters

75mm Gatling Rail II, Caldari Navy Uranium Charge S
75mm Gatling Rail II, Caldari Navy Uranium Charge S
75mm Gatling Rail II, Caldari Navy Uranium Charge S
75mm Gatling Rail II, Caldari Navy Uranium Charge S
Standard Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Sabretooth Light Missile

Hybrid Locus Coordinator I
Hybrid Locus Coordinator I